Southern part of India is rich in traditions, culture, beautiful locations and mostly authentic food cuisines. Compared to other parts of India, the spices used, the aroma and the taste of the food is different and in a way, age old methods and spices are still used.
Every state in India is known for distinct and variant cuisines. Punjabis are known for their Paranthas while the Madrasi is known for Idli Sambar. Dhokla from Gujarat, Momos from the Seven Sisters (North East), Vada Pav from Mumbai, Dal Bati Churma from Rajasthan and so on. The list is unending with mouth watering delicacies.
Here, let’s have a look at the most famous dishes of Our South India and see the list of tasty delicacies every state has to offer!!!
God’s own Country Kerala, is famous for its sea food as it is surrounded by the sea. One can find a wide variety of sea food in Kerala.
- SADHYA – THE TRADITIONAL AND AUTHENTIC KERALA MEAL SERVED WITH 12 TO 20 DISHES ON A PLAIN PLAINTAIN LEAF IS A MUST TRY. ONAM IS INCOMPETE WITHOU THIS MEAL. Variety of Kerala delicacies like pappadam, banana chips, traditional kerala rice, and buttermilk with wide range of curries and traditional spices must not be missed.
- The one thing anybody knows is that is KERALA IS FAMOUS FOR ITS BANANA CHIPS!!! BANANA FRITTERS ARE AN ALL TIME HEALTHY AND FAVOURITE SNACK FOR PEOPLE IN KERALA. You just can’t afford to miss it!!!
- PUTTU AND KADALA CURRY – TRADITIONAL BREAKFAST OF KERALA which contains steamed rice cooked with coconut shavings and black chick pea’s curry. This is an extremely popular food item in Kerala which is a must try!!!
- APPAM WITH STEW – APPAM IS A KERALA STAPLE FOOD WITH FERMENTED RICE FLOUR AND COCONUT MILK. It is just like a thin pancake with fresh coconut milk, spices, ginger, cinnamon and the stew consists of mangoes, vegetables, chicken or lamb which enhances the flavour, taste and aroma of this delicious dish.
Not only these, the non vegetarian delicacies like Idiyappam – egg curry, Malabar Birayni – the soul food of Kerala, Spicy chicken fry, prawn theeyal, Cassava – Kerala fish curry make the non vegetarian lovers mouth water and these are a real treat to them !!!
Karnataka – the land with a mixture of tradition and modernity has a lot to offer in the food section. It is often considered as the place that offers the most tasty food in South India.
- MYSORE MASALA DOSA – THIS DOSA WITH AN AUTHENTIC AND DISTINCT RED SPICE MIX SEPARATES IT FROM ALL THE OTHER DOSAS. This is the staple food and also one of the tastiest dishes you can taste with a combination of coconut chutney and sambar.
- BISIBELE BATH – FOUND IN ALMOST ALL THE RESTAURANTS IN KARNATAKA, THIS STAPLE FOOD OF KARNATAKA IS A COMBINATION OF RICE, LENTILS, VEGETABLES. The dry coconut just adds more flavour and this tasty dish is served with buttermilk and paapad. THIS IS THE SOUTH INDIAN VERSION OF “KHICHDI”.
- MADDUR VADA – THE TASTIEST SNACK WHICH YOU CAN’T KEEP YOUR HANDS AWAY FROM. Made with great spices, Maida and semolina, its combination with filter coffee is unbeatable.
- DAHI VADA OR THAYIR VADA – THIS IS ONE OF THE TRADITIONAL DISHES MADE ON FESTIOVE OCCASIONS. Different from northern Dahi Balla, this Dahi Vada must be on e of the dishes on your checklist if you are visiting Karnataka.
- KORRI GASSI – THIS CHICKEN DISH WILL TAKE YOU THE SPICES OF KARNATAKA WITH COCONUT AND TAMARIND FLAVOURS. The authentic and traditional taste of this dish will keep you wanting for more.
Obattu, Mysore Pak, Udupi tomato Rasam, Mangalorean Bhende Puli Koddel are few other dishes which must be added to the list of must try dishes of Karnataka.
Tamil Nadu :
How Can Tamil Nadu be described without Idli, Sambar or Filter Coffee?? It is quite impossible !!! Idli, Dosa, Sambar , Rasam, Podi, Filter Coffee are some of the dishes which everybody is quite familiar with. Let us look at few famous dishes which are familiar to Tamilians but unfamiliar to the outside world ….
- SUNDAL : THIS IS THE HEALTHIEST EVENING SNACK LOVED BY ALL THE TAMILIANS. Made with soaked beans, onion, chillies and grated coconut is the easiest dish one can make.
- NARALCHI VADI : CALLED THE COCONUT BARFI, IT IS AN EXTREMELY FAMOUS DESSERT IN TAMIL NADU. Made with grated coconut, condensed milk and sugar, this dessert is a treat to a swwet toothed person.
- KOOTU : MADE OF LENTILS AND VEGETABLES, THIS IS SERVED AS A SIDE DISH WITH BOILED RICE, RASAM AND PICKLE. There are many variations of Kootu like Pricha Kootu and Araichivita Kootu. Whatever the variation, this is a must try.
- KOOZH : MILLET PORRIDGE…ONE OF THE HEALTHIEST COOKED IN EARTHERN POTS MIXED WITH ONION, SPICES, CORRIANDER IS ANOTHER MUST TRY. This can also be combined with dry fish gravy, chicken or crab.
- SAMBAR : HOW CAN THE LIST BE COMPLETE WITHOUT THE TRADITIONAL TAMIL SAMBAR ?? Made with toor dal, freshly grated coconut, tamarind and aromatic spices, the taste this dish brings is something out of this world.
Our Favourite Filter Coffee, Puliodarai, Medhu vada ,Pongal, Payasam are few other tasty dishes to indulge oneself in Tamil Nadu.
AP and TELANGANA :
The beautiful Sister States, Andhra Pradesh and Telangana have their own unique contribution in the tasty cuisine section. Let us cast a look at the combined deliciousness of Andhra and Telangana.
- ULAVA CHARU : THE MOST FAMOUS CUISINE OF ANDHRA PRADESH MADE WITH HORSE GRAM IS A MUST TRY. Made on various occasions, this awesome dish is savoured all across Andhra Pradesh.
- POOTHA REKU : Keeping aside all the Payasams and other sweet dishes, THIS DESSERT STANDS ABOVE ALL OF THEM. Made with Rice Flour, Ghee, Jaggery and various dry fruits this will satisfy the hunger of a swwet toothed person to the utmost.
- MALIDALU : ONE OF THE LEAST KNOWN BUT A HELATHY DISH OF DISH OF TELANGANA. Made with leftover chapathis, jaggery, cashews, ghee, pistas, this sweet dish is filled with nutrients and will make a delicious snack.
- HYDERABADI BIRYANI : THE LIST WOULD BE INCOMPLETE WITHOUT NAMING THE PRIDE OF HYDERABAD. Both the vegetarian and non vegetarian versions are equally famous. HYDEABAD IS KNOWN BY THIS DISH IN NOT ONLY INDIA BUT ALSO THE ENTIRE WORLD. The spices used in it, the flavours, the aromatic ingredients make it unmatchable to any other dish and make it a must must try.
- SARVA PINDI : STAPLE FOOD AND EXCELLENT BREAKFAST OPTION IN TELANGANA. Made with rice flour, dal, peanuts, chillies this yummy dish will be a treat to your taste buds.
Apart from these, Pachi pulusu, Sakkinalu, Polelu are other mouth watering dishes which will pacify one’s hungry soul.
Our South India is full of flavours and variant tastes….awaken your spicy side and give your taste buds a treat with the lip smacking and mouth watering South Indian food!!!